- = Monday, February 21, 2005 = -

Making A Client Side Image Map Is Hard

I had all of these great ideas as to how I was going to make this nice gif image as an image map.

I'd make the arrows invisible so that when you hovered over the arrows the highlight feature which I always use for links would be seen through. It has always worked when I used the whole image as a link without an image map so naturally I thought it would work with an image map. Wrong! Unless I'm missing something, it just can't be done. Blegh.

I've always "thought" that I knew how to make an image map. I just never had the need to make one before. I started making one earlier today and when I tested it out nothing happened. I got online and started searching all my favorite sites on how to make them. Every one of them has their own way of making them. So now I've made like seven of them and all of them have their own little problems. I am so frustrated right now.

I guess I'll keep looking and keep testing until I find one that's perfect. Unfortunately, if I never get this highlight thing to work, I'm going to have to make several different images for the several different combinations of arrows that can be used... Not looking forward to that.

Weight: 176lbs

Labels:

1 Comments:

Approximately 10:16 PM, February 21, 2005, Blogger Manda thought it fit to add...

Hehe. Well, thank you very much for the suggestion but I do everything by hand... most of the time. I think I know pretty much every way possible now on how to make an image map including all those silly java scripts and dynamic things to add to it. The closest thing to what I had in mind would be an image flip and that just takes up too much of the bytes. So now I've cleverly decided to use a low byte and easy to edit background image behind the main gif image. That looks a lot better than what I was thinking of doing. It does kind of take the surprise aspect out of the whole thing, though. Oh, well. If I was that worried about it, I would just make a flash game or an executable.

 

<< Home Is That Way Say Somethin'