- = Friday, May 19, 2006 = -

This Week in Nature...

We will be talking about the twenty three or so ant colonies living in my front yard. Every day I meet and greet with these little dudes while trying to keep two curious chihuahuas from getting into trouble.

Course' we have some ant poison on the coffee table waiting to be spread about the yard, but this reporter has been sick all week... and in no mood to do anything but hurry along the business of her companions.

An ant bed by a fence.What makes these dudes so interesting is the shape of their homes. They create a crater like bed around a central tunnel. It's hard to see from this picture, but the sides actually fold over like an ocean wave. After a storm, it really is something to see... as several tall precarious structures dot the yard.

An ant bed in a yard.
Each bed surrounds a wide central tunnel. During the day there isn't much activity, but when rush hour rolls around, you can see tons of ants entering and exiting.

A closeup of four ants on an ant bed.
They have tiny, pale, red brown bodies and seem to favor the shamrock leaves as their burden of choice. There are tons of ant species but these dudes seem new to our neighborhood. Most of our ants in past years come in three varieties; The fire ants which are killed off quickly, early in the season; The little brown ants that build their homes in cracks, instead of beds, and generally go unnoticed; And the little black ants that build massive beds, about one every seven houses apart.

I really do need to get that poison out. Kill em' off. I've almost grown attached, though. But no, I'll not be holding any funerals. :P

Currently: Hacking and coughing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Approximately 6:35 PM, May 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous thought it fit to add...

I just now noticed you shut down your xanga site. Aww! Do you not like to read mine anymore? You don't think I'm interesting?

 
Approximately 7:35 AM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Manda thought it fit to add...

Haha. Sure you are. Cept' you keep deleting my comments and blocking even me from seeing some of your posts... what's the point? When you get a public blog, let me know.

 
Approximately 7:30 PM, May 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous thought it fit to add...

Haha. No I don't block you from my posts you just have to be signed into your xanga to read my blog. Ok and the reason I deleted your last comment is because I'm keeping that post for people who want to join my protected list. I don't want extra stuff on there. When you make up another xanga site let me know and I'll add you.

 

<< Home Is That Way Say Somethin'